The Universities of Asia and the Pacific through their representatives assembled at a conference at Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand, on 28 July 1995:
Believe that regional cooperation among universities can contribute substantially to the improvement of national systems of higher education, to economic and social development, to human resources development and to mutual understanding and respect among people, and
Further believing that such co-operation can be highly effective and manageable on a regional scale, and
Conscious that the diversity of the institutions and systems of higher education of Asia and the Pacific constitutes a resource that can be drawn upon to the advantage of all concerned, and
Believe that an association of the universities of the region can enhance mutual cooperation among individual institutions to enrich their role in teaching, research, and service and thus in promoting justice, human dignity, progress, and peace, and
Believing also that in these matters the efforts of a regional association will complement those of international, sub-regional and national bodies concerned with higher education,
Hereby decide to establish an association: Association of Universities of Asia and the Pacific.
AUAP acts as a platform for interaction and collaboration among its members and be the voice of universities in Asia and the Pacific. The following are the main objectives of AUAP:
1. To promote a culture of quality and innovation in higher education, research and services to the community
2. To preserve and enhance the values and cultural diversity of Asia, the Pacific and other regions of the world towards better understanding and cooperation for socio-economic development and universal peace
3. To engage with stakeholders of the higher education and other organizations to further the objectives of AUAP
4. To cooperate, where appropriate, with other organizations whose objectives are similar to those of AUAP.
5. To promote universal peace and international understanding through education